Wednesday 16 April 2008

Nest building attempt one

Last night I gave nest building a go for the first time. I'm not sure its an exactly successful nest, i wouldn't trust any baby anythings in there. But it was defiantly good to try out.


Its made from newspaper strips, thicker twisted ones to form the frame, thinner strips for weaving and whats really just spit balls to pad out the inside (Couldn't bring myself to make the spit balls in the traditional way, so i just went for the more hygienic papier mache option instead). It took at least an hour and a half to make, with a lot of complaining about how rubbish it looked in between.


The process reminded me of some things we've spoken about in other projects, things like ritual acts and feminine traditions. It felt quite therapeutic, when I wasn't complaining, it made me think of all the caring acts mothers do to prepare for their children like crocheting a blanket, knitting clothes and socks or setting up a room. Even the fact that now that its finished and i think it's a bit rubbish and not up to scratch makes me think of how mum's never really feel like they've done a good enough job no matter how hard they try. So i suppose it's fitting that it could definitely be better put together.


No comments: