Monday 14 April 2008

Dens, Forts, Nooks and Crannies

Having a think about what I originally had in mind for this project, I got to remembering to dens and hidy-holes i used to make when i was little. I'm pretty sure we've all made the same kinds, although I was very lucky as my mum was suprisingly understanding when it came to turning the furniture upside down. Those ones where my favorites, when I was allowed to turn the living room upside down and make my own imaginary house within it. On more average days it was just a plain old bed sheet over the kitchen table, very snug.



Or making a nook under a hedge in the back court... that was particularly good fun as there where always rocks and tree roots to use as furniture. The backgarden den also has more in commen with the nests I've been looking at and the thought of making a little woven enclosure out and about somewhere is quite exciting. like a nest for memories.

I'm still looking for some more detailed information, on artists or otherwise, about why all children do this and why it is such a comforting thing? I think it could be an interesting thing to take further, or just to understand a little better for myself.

No comments: