Tuesday 22 April 2008

3... 2... 1... coming ready or not!

While walking home from the shops on Saturday afternoon I passed by the school at the top of my street. In the playground I saw two wee-ish boys running towards the rain shelter where they crouched down in opposite corners behind pillars. I thought it was a bit of a strange thing to do and naturally thought the worst, that maybe they had robbed a pensioner or mugged someone for their Ipod? It was only when i saw another kid hiding down beside a wheelie bin quickly followed by a fourth who wandered out into the middle of the ground looking a bit lost that i realised they where playing hide and seek... phew!


But the reason I'm including this is, I've never seen the game from that perspective before,the only other times I've payed attention is when I've been playing, but walking past I could see all of the game at once. I saw the hiders and the seeker and the inevitable mad dash.
Seemed like it was a perfect little illustration of the nooks and crannies you can find when you need to and got me thinking that maybe it would be a nice idea to mark these in some way. All those places that you walk past everyday but that could be turned into a prefect hidy-hole if only you knew it.


This reminded me of some street Art that caught my imagination years ago. Its by an Artist called Louise, she works with her partner Eugene and together they create all sorts of magical things. What was in my mind was some work Louise made by knitting objects and then casting them in plaster, she says of them:

'my world is filled with naivety, in a lonely kind of way. My little creatures play hide and seek, but mostly never end up being found. My only goal is to offer a short, intimate moment to the happy few who notice a little Louise creature in the hussel of the city.'


Unfortunately I couldn't find any available images online to show but if you go to their website under the heading of Personal work and click on L-Street you'll find some really beautiful images. It's well worth having a look at the rest of their work too, I've completely fallen in love with it the Eugene and Louise bakery in particular.

No comments: