Friday 2 May 2008

Out and About and the Four Minute Warning

Wednesday I decided that the weather was never going to get any nicer and even though it's raining when else am I going to get these pictures taken! Euan kindly offered the use of his camera and we went out to take some photos of me in the bag. I was feeling pretty nervous about it, so we stared off in the Macintosh stairwell that leads down to the basement, i like the light down there and Euan said there was a cupboard under the stairs which could look quite nice in the photos. This gave me time to get a little bit more comfortable moving around and also let me see the kinds of shapes and effects I could make with the materials. This is one of my favorites, I'm stretching up to cover the stairway light.



Click on this link for the Flickr page I set up to show the rest of the pictures, it looks a bit of a jumble at first but the organised sets make it clearer.

After the pictures taken in the basement Euan suggested I set myself a task. I should go to each of the buildings that make up the art school (Macintosh, Newberry, Bourdon, Foulis, JD Kelly, Barnes and Haldane) and give myself a set amount of time from the moment I step foot in the door to find what I feel would be the safest place to hide. We decide on the time limit being 4 minutes as it corresponds to what I wrote about earlier, the protect and survive manual the treat of nuclear attacks and the 4 minute warning. The idea of this made me feel even more anxious at first but I decide d to give it a shot anyway. I'm glad that I did, it was a lot of fun, again it helped me to feel more comfortable and I think we got some really nice pictures and shapes out of it.

All this took about an hour to do and then we headed out properly and took some photos in more open places, which is what I had had in mind from the start. As much fun as the others where to make and as much as i like a lot of the results I think these pictures are my favorites. I like the contrast within the settings and the way it became quite amorphous and doesn't always look like there's a body underneath. some of them particularly the ones taken on the fence remind me of kinds of fungus that grow on tree stumps.







No comments: