Thursday 1 May 2008

Hood

As a start to making a bag Ive been looking at and pricing different material. In my mind Id like it to be made of fleeced material, something like a bed sheet or a baby blanket, which is nice as both have secure connotations. I'd like it to be big enough to at least hold me, about two double bed sheets sewn together size. Originally I had a circle shape in mind, so it would look a little like a deflated balloon or giant tea bag to crawl into but i think a large rectangle might be best. It will be easier to sew and also will make nicer shapes and folds as there's more fabric left over to play with.

I took a little trip down to Mandors, to price and see if they had anything near what I had in mind. They do have rolls of fleeced cotton material but its quite expensive so I will be going for a hunt round some charity shops in the next few days. What i did find though was some nice material in the scrap bin, it was no where near enough but i bought it to play around with. I bought some pink and white elasticated cotton which I've made into a little tent.



And some heavy navy blue felt which i very quickly and roughly made into a hood, to try out how the bag might feel. Trying the hood on was fun, its pitch black inside and not comforting at all, really feels quite eerie and unnerving. It's big enough to cover me to just below my knees if i curl myself up.

When I saw the hood on other people it reminded me a lot of the hood that the Iraqi prisoners where forced to wear in Abu Ghraib. It made sense of the uncomfortable feelings I'd had earlier but has also tainted the idea of the bag for me a bit and I definitely don't want to put the hood on again.




No comments: