Thursday 1 May 2008

In the bag

As planned I went round some charity shops to try and find some suitable material to make my bag from, in about the third or fourth shop i found the perfect stuff! Its a pale lemon, fleeced cotton, double bed sheet. I would have liked to have more than one to play with but it was only a pound and its more than big enough to fit me, which is my main objective.

Once I got into the studio I very quickly and roughly stapled two of the three edges together to make one really large pocket and then i tried it on. It was really pretty comfy in the bag? Nice and light, not to stuffy and very soft and Downy just like i had imagined it might be, i felt quite safe, safe enough to stand about for a bit. Then, the next thing I know someone is giggling and tying a piece of rope around my middle to trap me in.








It was funny even though it got a bit claustrophobic in there but what I found really interesting was I had never considered how vulnerable putting yourself in a big opaque bag could be? Seems silly that it hadn't occurred to me before but I had gotten too caught up in the idea of making yourself small, covered up and safe but it was all from my perspective within not the perspective without. I still like the original idea of creating a private moment in a public setting but I'll definitely take this aspect of vulnerability along with it.




Thank you Hazel for taking the pictures and video... and thank you Stephen for getting me out, but not Steven, it was you that tied the knot so tight.

2 comments:

lightredhairedsteven said...

... sorry Lorraine... :(

Lorraine Hamilton said...

hahaha it's ok? i got a video and an extra blog post out of it :D